XplodingHead

Cinnamon Blog

Cinnamon Blog

Postby Alex on 09 06 2015 13:18

Cinnamon is a Linux desktop from Mint: http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com

After upgrading my machines to Debian Jessie and having my issues with KDE, I decided to give it a try after a recommendation from Christof. This is about my experience changing from KDE to Cinnamon, not only the desktop but also KDE programs I used the previous years.

My first pleasant surprise was that its already a desktop option at Debian Jessie installation. After taking my time to get used to it, I really liked it.

Pros
- configurability: although it has its issues for most I found a workaround because it's possible to configure nearly everything.
- has a menu editor that actually works
- has power management that doesn't freeze my laptop
- music: switched from Amarok to DeaDBeeF and never looked back. Its simplistic, fast and everything I want and nothing I don’t want.

Cons
- a network manager that cant be uninstalled because cinnamon depends on it (for whatever reason) that crashed my panel multiple times and took hours to remove from there.

Summary
I like to configure things for my work-flow. A lot. If I'm sitting before a fresh desktop (without backups/imports from an existing one) it takes 2 days to get most things running and than a week with tweaking as I go until I have a system I'm feeling at home and can be productive as a software developer. Like pointing out before configurability is an important point and after using Cinnamon for a month I'm not satisfied - I'm happy ;)
Alex
Laughing bag

Return to Linux